Yashica Mat EM

It’s been only four months since I bought the Yashicaflex twin lens reflex (TLR) camera. And now I have two of them, Yashica TLRs I mean. Today I received a Yashica Mat EM in extremely good condition. I have not had time to shoot a test roll yet but all the functions seem to work as they should. I have not tested the exposure meter (EM) yet.

Yashica Mat EM cameras were manufactured from 1964 to 1966. I don’t know the exact manufacturing year for my EM. The camera has a 4-element Yashinon 80mm f/3.5 lens and a Copal MXV shutter, and you shoot 120 roll film with it.

Yashica Mat EM (1)

Yashica Mat EM (2)

Yashica Mat EM (3)

Yashica Mat EM (4)

Yashica Mat EM (5)

Yashica Mat EM (6)

Here are my two Yashicas, side by side.

Yashicaflex and Yashica Mat EM

Yashicaflex and Yashica Mat EM (2)

8 Replies

1. (20th of December, 2010 11:44 pm)

Awesome camera! Love the condition of the camera and the leather case!

2. (21st of December, 2010 12:22 am)

how many cameras is this now? :)

3. (21st of December, 2010 11:08 am)

Tom, it feels awesome, cannot wait to actually use it! The camera is in great condition, even in better than I expected. The case is nice too but I’m not sure if I feel comfortable using it. We’ll see.

Melissa, let me count…. 8 film cameras and 2 digital bodies, if I didn’t forget any. In 2010 I’ve owned 4 other film cameras (and a digital body) which I’ve sold. I don’t know any better hobby! :D

4. laurens
    (19th of June, 2012 07:29 pm)

Hello,

I have a seller for a yashica mat em should i go buy one?

greetings

• (5th of July, 2012 08:16 pm)

I think you should if you are interested in shooting film. It’s a great camera.

5. (12th of December, 2012 12:03 am)

I have one that I am looking to sell or if u talk me into it I may start shooting film again….how expensive is it to use the EM…let’s say a roll of 120 and developed?….and who develops?

6. (12th of December, 2012 12:06 am)

I am no longer set up for developing and have spread my energy in different if not better directions…

• (2nd of January, 2013 07:48 pm)

Sorry about the late reply. I haven’t been taking care of the blog lately. :/

The cost of developing a roll of film varies a lot. Depending on your location, you may find cheap or relatively cheap film labs — or there may be none available. I started developing my own film (first b&w, then color, too) because the developing cost per film at local labs was too expensive for me (7-10 euros per roll + possible p&p). I have since stopped developing C-41 but I continue deving b&w.

Unfortunately I am unable to comment on the prices for your location. You just need to ask around. Google for places and check out local photography discussion boards. Hopefully there are still photo labs active near you.

Write a reply

Allowed XHTML formatting: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>